We are 1 of 5 hospitals in Austin and were one of the first in all of Texas to be certified! We love all our patients, but sometimes, our patients get a little stressed out when visiting us. This is especially true of some of our feline patients! We understand that cats often do not travel well, they sometimes do not feel safe when they are away from their normal home territory, and they are highly sensitive to unusual sights, sounds and smells. So, in conjunction with the American Association of Feline Practitioners, we have followed the strict guidelines to become a certified Cat Friendly Practice!
- We know that most cats prefer quiet and solitude and need to be handled gently and with care and respect in the practice.
- We understand the unique needs of cats and have made veterinary visits more cat-friendly.
- We understand how to approach and handle cats in a gentle, empathetic and caring manner.
- We have appropriate standards of equipment needed to investigate and treat feline patients.
- We meet a standard for the facility and care for hospitalized cats.
- The Cat Friendly Practice program seeks to transform and elevate the delivery of feline veterinary care by:
- Laying the groundwork for the delivery of care to the under served feline population.
- Identifying trends and baseline species information essential for understanding cats.
- Acknowledging the essential role of the cat owner in the veterinary visit.
- Providing support to veterinarians and their teams to create a cat friendly practice environment.
- Outlining strategies for introducing changes in the delivery of care that incorporate a better understanding of the cat?s distinct needs and behaviors.
We have been working hard to make Star of Texas Veterinary Hospital comfortable for you and your cat. We have dedicated one exam room “Cat Only”. We have always had completely separate cat boarding area far away from the hustle and bustle of daily veterinary work. Please drop by and ask to see our cat room and boarding!
Cat Room and Cat Boarding includes: Zen music, scratching posts, Feliway Diffuser, comfy beds, rug, tree, and other furniture to have a more home-y feel, cushion on the table top, treats, and catnip. Cat boarding also includes plenty of peace and quiet!